Feb 5, 2014

Twist of Taste by Chef Vikas Khanna

Food fusion as an experiment can prove to be a grand success or disaster! Often its rating is at the mercy of the consumer. The Chef may have put in his/her most creative skills, combined the flavors and presented the platter with most exotic dressing, yet it is the customer who passes the judgment on whether the pleasure was doubled. Recently I was at one such food fusion event “Twist of Taste” at Shiro, UB City, Bangalore. This menu is created by Chef Vikas Khanna.

I returned craving for more!

The spread had seven items inclusive of starters, soup and main dish. Panko Crusted Prawn Rawa Fry Style was definitely the winner among the 2 non-veg starters, the other one being Xacuti Masala Grilled Rice Paper Roll Chicken. Of the two XMGRCRC is healthier and that is for the calorie conscious people; with a dash of sauce there the pleasures can be heightened. When I eat I don’t count calories, so I went crunch crunch on crunchy panko crusted prawns.


Crispy Tofu with Tamarind Chutney in Paper Basket was an instant hit with my vegetarian friends. I specially liked its tangy taste, and the tofu cubes seem to have soaked in the tamarind flavor well.

The “Coconut and Lemon Grass Soup with Rasam Powder” was the most innovative soup I had in the recent times. How does one explain this! The rich milky taste of coconut spiked with spices of south Indian rasam powder and mellowed down with lemon grass… each sip made me more confused as to which flavor lingered more. This definitely is a must have if you are there.

For main dish there was “Lemon Fried Rice with Peanut and Pineapple”. This is a different version of “Lemon Rice” of south. The rice used was Japanese rice which gave a slightly sticky feel in mouth. That is fusion experiment with food! A whole new dish just by replacing the main element of a traditional dish!

The accompaniments with the main dish were Kerala Style Prawn Curry with Thai Red Curry Paste and Steam fish in Lotus Leaf with Malabar Curry Spice. Kerala style prawn curry by itself is a winner; imagine the smashing results when combined with yet another winner the Thai Red Curry paste. Similarly steamed fish wrapped in banana leaf with mustard and coconut paste is a popular dish of Bengal. The dressing was changed here. It was coated with Malabar Spices and wrapped in lotus leaf. Both experiments get 100% marks from me in terms of taste and presentation!


28 comments:

Sougata Khan said...

These look delicious! Thanks for sharing

Sylvia K said...

Mmmmm looks delicious to me, too!! Great captures as always! Hope your week is going well, Indrani! Enjoy!

Red Handed said...

and yet again I salivate!

George said...

It's lunch time as I read this, and you're making me hungry.

Bob Bushell said...

Love, love, love everythings that I would to have, though I am vege.

Łucja-Maria said...

Welcome Indrani.
This food looks great.
I think it is delicious.
Greetings from far away Polish.
Lucia

Hilary said...

Thankfully, I just finished dinner so my tummy isn't growling but I'm still drooling.

Smitha Kalluraya said...

wow .. each dish is making me drool here.. wish i could taste them :(

aliasgarmukhtiar mukhtiar said...

delicious

dianasmusings said...

Appetizing with great presentation.

Pallavi said...

Aaah I went into food coma ! :)

Bibi said...

Sounds good! And looks good, too.

Gattina said...

Sounds all very yummy ! I love Indian food. The whole problem is that in Brussels Indian restaurants are very rare and very expensive ! Just to contrary to the UK !

Ashwini C N said...

The crusted prawns look so tempting. BTW Japanese rice? Interesting.

EG CameraGirl said...

Looks like wonderful treats!

Ramakrishnan Ramanathan said...

I want all this - I am feeling terribly hungry already !

ladyfi said...

More deliciousness!

Ranjana's craft blog said...

Looks very interesting , where is it Indrani?

Indrani said...

This is in Shiro Ub City, Bangalore, Ranjana.

Ankur Anand said...

delicious .. so a foodie traveler ?

Preethi Venugopal said...

Again... Yummy...Tempting...

Athenas Take said...

How do you manage to focus and click such great picks with so much of awesome food around you? Great pics and hope you enjoyed them a lot too.

Namrota said...

Naam golo koto bodo-bodo ... nevertheless khide pey geylo.

Fayaz Pasha said...

Yumm! food and I'm hungry seeing the pics. Its lunch time for me. Hope you too had a nice lunch.

Maniparna Sengupta Majumder said...

They look so yummy !! slurp slurp...

Anita said...

You got to sample the stuff, right?! I want too!!! :)

Pradip Biswas said...

You should have given a warning at First"The following narration may excite your saliva and better keep a napkin and clean hanky otherwise your laptop, mobile or table cloth may be spoiled." I nearly saved them.
The soup is the best one.

Neha Sharma said...

looks scrumptious!